© 2023 by Sphere Construction. Proudly created with Wix.com

  • Facebook - Grey Circle
  • LinkedIn - Grey Circle
  • Google+ - Grey Circle

Navesink Hook & Ladder

STATION 1

On May 1, 1886 a meeting was held in the All Saints School House (Stone Church) to incorporate a fire company in Navesink to protect life and property from fire. It was the first of the 11 all-volunteer fire companies in the Middletown Township Fire Department, and is designated as Station 1.  To this day all members of Navesink Hook & Ladder are volunteers, many of which are the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, or 5th generation of their family to serve the community in such a way.

Navesink Hook & Ladder Co #1 consists of 30 active firefighters, 5 probationary firefighters, 26 associate members, and 24 life members. 

 

On average, Navesink Hook and Ladder responds to roughly 150 emergency calls per year, including structure fires, motor vehicle accidents, brush fires, smoke and/or carbon monoxide alarms, and various other calls.

  • NAVESINK HOOK & LADDER

KEEP TRUCKIN'

A history of Navesink Hook & Ladder's Fire Trucks

By Linda DeNicola, Neighbor | Jun 17, 2011 11:36 pm ET | Updated Jun 18, 2011 8:13 pm ET

While the firehouse home base of Middletown's Navesink Hook and Ladder Fire Co. No 1 evolved over the years, so did everything else, none more so than the trucks.

At first, the "trucks" were carts pulled by horses.

On Nov. 3, 1887, Joseph Stankiewitz, of Stone Church, built the first, hand-drawn fire truck, which could be pulled by a horse, for the sum of $78.00. By 1910, the company had purchased a chemical engine for $53.75, paying for it a little at a time. This proved to be much more effective than the buckets formerly used.

However, in 1911, the company also added a pump and a three-horse power engine for $125 along with 100 feet of fire hose at 35 cents a foot.

The new truck, considered up to date, proved quite heavy to pull. As a result, Tom Garney was paid $3.00 for a horse to pull the truck for each alarm when available.  Shortly after, a used 1911 Thomas Flyer automobile was purchased along with a pump that could throw a stream of water 150 feet from a nozzle.

The firehouse was mortgaged and the car and pump purchased for $875.

Engineer Albert Burdge converted the car into a fire truck, which soon became known all over the county as a most dependable piece of equipment. Because of this, the company was called out to assist at many major fires all along the shore and in Red Bank.

From 1917 on, the fire company purchased many fire trucks, among them a Ford-Smith Forman that they rigged up as a fire truck. The old hand-drawn truck was to be sold, but the company had no bidders. A chemical tank was placed on this truck, which proved effective at small fires and was later placed on another truck.